- HASSENDEAN, a hamlet, in the parish of Minto, district of Jedburgh, county of Roxburgh, 7 miles (W.) from Jedburgh; containing 21 inhabitants. This place, seated on a small stream of the same name, was anciently a parish, of which the lands were divided between the parishes of Minto, Wilton, and Roberton. After the Reformation the church and its pertinents were granted to Walter, Earl of Buccleuch. There was formerly a cell here, dependent on the abbey of Melrose; and a farm adjoining the church continues to bear the name of the Monks' croft. The church and greater part of the churchyard have been washed away by the river Teviot, which passes on the south of the parish of Minto, and of which the Hassendean burn is a tributary.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Minto — MINTO, a parish, in the district of Jedburgh, county of Roxburgh; containing, with the hamlet of Hassendean, 455 inhabitants, of whom 90 are in the village of Minto, 5½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Hawick, and the remainder in the rural districts… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Roberton — 1) ROBERTON, a village, in the parish of Wiston and Roberton, Upper ward of the county of Lanark, 2¼ miles (S. S. W.) from the village of Wiston; containing 201 inhabitants. This village is pleasantly situated in the south eastern quarter of… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Melrose Abbey — Monastery information Order Cistercian Established 1136 Disestablished … Wikipedia
Waverley Line — Newbattle (or Lothianbridge) viaduct Overview Type Urban rail proposal System … Wikipedia
Minto, Scottish Borders — Minto is a village north of the River Teviot, in the Scottish Borders area of Scotland, (more or less the former Selkirkshire, Roxburghshire, Peebleshire and Berwickshire), and almost midway between the towns of Hawick and Jedburgh. Minto House… … Wikipedia
Marchmont Estate — For other uses, see Marchmont (disambiguation). The Avenue, Marchmont Estate Marchmont Estate lies near the village of Greenlaw in Berwickshire in the Scottish Borders area of Scotland, circa 45 miles (72 km) south east of Edinburgh. It is… … Wikipedia